Friday 16 May 2014

Simple Shellfish Stock

This is a brilliant thrifty recipe that delivers outstanding results. To think I used to throw the shells in the bin!

Simple Shellfish Stock

Ingredients:
Heads and shells from approx. 1kg of peeled cold water prawns.
4 Cloves of garlic, peeled and slightly crushed.
A pinch of black peppercorns
3g 'Big pinch' good quality salt. (I prefer Maldon Sea Salt)
3 Dried bay leaves
1.2 litres of water (approx.)


Simple Shellfish Stock
Method:

Add all the ingredients to a large saucepan and place a lid on top. Bring to the boil. Lower the heat and then simmer for about 2hrs stirring occasionally. I wish I could bottle the aroma that fills the kitchen whilst this stock is being made.

After 2 hours turn off the heat and allow to cool. I usually strain the stock first through a sieve to remove all the large pieces. I then strain the stock that is left through a muslin cloth and then the stock is ready to be used. It will keep in the fridge for a few days or it can be frozen in which ever vessel you see fit. Personally, I like to use the pour and store style bags or those plastic takeaway style containers.

Simple and tasty, this stock is a great base for all sorts of dishes and sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment